I Thessalonians 4:11-12a

Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we instructed you before. Then people who are not Christians will respect the way you live. . . (I Thessalonians 4:11-12a)

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Considering Her.meneutics: A Theology of Jiggly Thighs

Having just looked through the most recent issue of MORE Magazine (those of you over 40 probably know it), I have to say this post at Her.meneutics is a fine counterbalance for the the magazine. While I can't say I wholeheartedly agree with the author's theology of aging gracefully (or, maybe I should say I had never really thought of it in quite this way), I am willing to read it again and consider it further.

It's food for thought as you consider living simply. I have always intended to let my hair show its gray (may I be so blessed as to have it turn out as brilliant as my mother's). I seem to naturally prefer the simpler styles of clothing and makeup and hairstyles that are deemed appropriate for a woman of maturing years. These are not problems for me. Still, I think these preferences are just an expression of my personal relationship with Christ. Other saints who are more expressive and outwardly joyful than I am probably look the part as well with brightly colored clothing and funky hairstyles and jewelry. I myself have seasons when these adornments are more appropriate to my spiritual mood. You can have feisty seasons in Christ. Can I get an Amen?

However, what I want others to see on the outside of me, whatever the style or color of clothing or hair I've chosen, is what I experience with Him on the inside: comfort; ease; humble recognition of imperfection in the face of His glory tempered with gratitude for grace that lifts me up. I'd like to think that, crow's feet and less than brilliantly white teeth notwithstanding, my appearance, my countenance, will increasingly reflect an inner beauty that comes from being at peace with my Lord. There is an undeniable radiance in the face of anyone who truly knows the Lord.

No comments: