I Thessalonians 4:11-12a

Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we instructed you before. Then people who are not Christians will respect the way you live. . . (I Thessalonians 4:11-12a)

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Shadows

Yesterday morning I was sitting in our morning room looking out at the petunias I'd planted.  The sun was showing across the tops of the blooms, but below was shadow.  I thought it was very pretty.  This evening I glanced up and saw a stunning display:  a large cloud all lit up bright white; above and below it, crossing it even, were dark clouds.  The contrast was beautiful.  I enjoy photography with strong elements of light and shadow, black and white mainly.  It's eye-catching and can really create a mood.

One of my favorite characteristics of God, however, is His steadfastness.  In Him is no shadow of turning (James 1:17).  I never have to wonder about God.  Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow (Hebrews 13:8).  This trait of constancy, of unyielding sameness is the result of pure, uncompromising truth.  It's a tremendous comfort to know He who holds the universe in His hands is not given to fits of rage;  is not swayed by clever, persuasive words; is not controlled by emotions.  What He does is good and He gives to us in abundance!

Every good and perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning (James 1:17).


When I was in grade school, my class was involved in a PTA program.  I don't remember much about it except we sang a song with lyrics that said something about, "My home's in Montana, I wear a bandanna, my spurs are of silver my pony is gray".  We were supposed to dress cowboyish for our performance.  My dad, who loves to give gifts, surprised me with a cute little cowgirl outfit and pink bandanna to wear.  I was so happy.  That gift was an expression of his love for me and his pride in what I was doing.  Obviously, it touched my heart as I am 42 years old and still remember it!  My dad did lots of things to make me feel special.

How much more should I praise my Heavenly Father who provides not only for my needs every day, but gives gifts to me just because it pleases Him to do so?  Moreover, He saves my soul!

If you ever feel disturbed, unimportant, unloved, or just restless, I suggest you take a moment and look at creation.  Here, God has revealed His glory and no one can deny Him.  Look at the play of light and shadow and think about his faithfulness.  Look at the birds and remember His provision for you.  Listen to the breeze and recall how His spirit moves.  We have so very much to be thankful for.

No comments: